Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reminders of love

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I was getting ready to go to bed after a particularly rough day. I don't remember all that had happened, just that I felt like nobody loved me. As I crawled into bed, I saw that my mom had made my bed for me (yes, I was old enough to make my own bed and I was supposed to, I just hadn't that day... maybe my disobedience was why I was having a bad day). I know that's a little thing, but as I snuggled under the covers, I thought, "Wow, my mom really does love me." Now, both of my parents have always shown their love for all of us kids in many different ways, over and over, but for some reason, that one incident really stuck with me. It made such an impression on me that, as I got older and went through other rough days, I remembered that one incident, and knew that no matter what, my mom loved me. Each time I remember that night, I can feel the snuggly blanket and cool sheets, and the comfort of knowing I am loved.

My mom isn't the only one that I have that sort of memory of. God has also proven to me over and over that He loves me. There are so many things that I can look back to that remind me that He will take care of me- the time that I was scheduled to have a very expensive dental procedure, and God healed my tooth... the time that I prayed for a blender and God let me win a better, fancier one than I had ever imagined... the time that I waited and prayed and waited and prayed and waited and prayed for "the one" God had for me and He gave me Nathanael... the looong year that Nathanael was deployed that I thought would never end, but God brought us through it. God has worked out so many situations for me, and proven over and over that He loves me. Those memories give me hope and strength that whatever happens in the future,  I can rest in the assurance that He knows, He cares, and He loves me enough to do what's best for me.

As Valentine's Day gets closer, I want to remember to focus on love. Not just my love for my husband and all of those mushy things ;), but the love that God has shown me... and the love that He wants me to show others. What things am I doing for others that will serve as a reminder to them that they are loved? And am I using the blessings of love that God has already given me to remind me that He is gracious?

No comments:

Post a Comment