Thursday, December 6, 2012

Let Me Eat Cake

So, as you know, yesterday was my birthday! It was awesome- super awesome, in fact! :) If you somehow missed my post yesterday about the awesome gift my awesome husband got me, check it out here.

One of the highlights of any celebration is obviously food, and in particular, dessert! This year, I decided I was going to make my own decadent chocolate cake... and it would somehow involve salted caramel (one of my obsessions!). So, I searched Pinterest for recipes and found this recipe for a Salted Caramel Ding Dong Cake over at Portuguese Girl Cooks. I didn't want the vanilla cream, so I just made the chocolate cake and the caramel ganache. I think I overcooked the cake because it was a little dry, but it's still very chocolatey... and very delicious! In place of the vanilla cream, I used that wonderful wonderful Philly Cheesecake Spread you can buy in a tub- oh my word! So good! I also wanted some caramel just by itself, so I used this recipe from Say Yes To Hoboken.

I did have some mishaps putting it together... the first batch of caramel from the Ding Dong cake recipe burned a little... and so did the second batch... grrrr! But, once I added it to the chocolate, you couldn't really tell. Also, I wanted to cool down and firm up the caramel sauce really quickly, so I popped it in the freezer for a few minutes. When I went to take it out, it was not as firm as I thought, and as I swung it towards me, I dumped half of the bowl all over myself... and the floor... and the wall... Our dog thought it must be HER birthday and tried to lick it all up before I could clean it up... oh brother!

I did finally get everything finished and the cake put together... and eaten! Well, just some of it, I'm not THAT much of a pig! ;) Anyway, here's how it turned out:


Not bad, not bad at all! I will admit, it does look a little bit like someone sat on it, but it's delicious!! ;)

P.S. I just had a piece right now for research purposes to see if it was still good today... it is! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment