Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Star Wars Birthday Dinner

Yesterday (January 10th) was my husband's birthday!! Happy birthday to him!! :) I wanted to do something really special for him without spending too too much money, but I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. Nathanael is really easy to please, and he has a couple of different things he's interested in, so I wasn't really sure what I should do to make sure he had an out of this world birthday (har har). While I was trying to decide what to do, my mom- in- law sent me a Facebook message telling me that they were going to get Nathanael the Star Wars blu- rays. Hooray!!! That decided it for me- it had to be Star Wars! We're both big fans, and I knew there would be lots and lots of stuff on the internet to help me plan.

My first project was some Star Wars glasses I decided I wanted to try to make (I found this idea on Pinterest). I just picked some designs, used some cutout vinyl and some etching cream, and voila! Here's how they turned out:
Not too shabby if I do say so myself! Of course, if you look too closely, you'll see lots of little mistakes. I don't have a Cricut or a Silhouette, so I ended up cutting the designs out with an Exacto knife. A little tedious, but I like how they turned out. And Nathanael thought they were pretty cool!

When it came to decorating, I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money (or really any if I could get away with it). We already had a ton of Star Wars stuff, so I just decorated with the posters, movies, books, and figurines we already had. I just decorated the dining room because this was just a dinner, not really a full- fledged party.
The table and "buffet" (really the stand for our turtle tank)
set up with Star Wars memorabilia
The dining table- framed pictures from a calendar, movies, and cutouts
I found on sale at Hobby Lobby

The "buffet"- more pictures from a calendar,
along with books, videos, and a Naboo Starfighter 

The whole dining room complete with hanging stars
(stars I saved from my dad's birthday party several years ago)



When I asked Nathanael what he wanted for his birthday dinner, he said "wings", so I wanted to work the menu around that. Here's what I came up with:
Yoda soda- Sundrop with lime sherbet scoops

Cheesestick light sabers- breaded mozzarella sticks
with bacon wrapped around the ends

X-Wings- Buffalo chicken wings... that's all they are, but with
a clever name ;)

Chewie cheesecake bites- store bought cheesecake bites with candles.
I know it's not "real" cake, but Nathanael wanted cheesecake!
Sorry about the blurriness!
There wasn't a lot of food, but that was on purpose. Nathanael and I are both trying to eat healthier, so I didn't want to have a ton of left-overs of food we are trying to stay away from. We did end up having left-overs, but just a few of each thing.

Of course, I had to wear the Leia buns! I used this video tutorial on sock buns to do my hair. I think I ended up looking more like a jolly German fraulein than Princess Leia, but that's ok!




For games, I just did a treasure hunt with the clues leading to the hidden presents. I tried to do each clue with a different character's way of speaking. I ended up using Yoda, Jar Jar, C-3PO, Jabba, and the opening credits (In a living room far, far away....). We also ended up doing an impromptu game of "Chase Mona Around the House Playing the Harmonica"... which was a lot of fun... ;)

It ended up being a lot of fun & I really enjoyed putting it together. It's important to me that Nathanael know how special he is to me and that he sees that I'm willing to put some time and effort into making things nice for him.

If you want to check out some of the places I got ideas, check out my Pinterest board!


2 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing at your description of your hair! You always make me laugh. You are an amazing and thoughtful wife. Nathanael is lucky to have you and I'm sure you feel even luckier to have him...just knowing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your personal blog :) I think I've been over here before, but somehow lost track of you :) Looks like a wonderful party! You are so thoughtful... LOVE your hair! You should wear it like that on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete